Parents, the performance is at 2:00pm in the small gym. If you can not make the 2:00pm show, you can attend the 9:15am rehearsal, but please email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let me know so I can make sure there is enough seating.
1) Begin working on your SouthEast Region Tourist Script
2) Continue your preliminary research on your Champion of Change. We will finalize which student will write about which civil rights activist.
3) Read and Log.
1) Complete Aleks Math Homework
2) Read and Log.
3) Watch your book review! If you click on the title of your video, you can see your individual video page, where there is a SHARE button that you can click to get the embed code to paste on your blog. See if you can do it!
4) Keep the 4BLF recommendations coming in!
Want to see Coach Funke get dunked on? Sure you do! Join us for a fun night of laughs, entertainment, and basketball. The Harlem Wizards are coming to town and have asked our Coach Funke (and other teachers around our district) to play in a charity basketball game hosted by Highland Park High School.
The Harlem Wizards show brings oohs, aahs, and serious laughter inspired by sky-high slams, hilarious humor, dynamic energy, fan participation, world class tricks and basketball wizardry. The aerodynamic athleticism coupled with comedy and community at a Wizards event will bring fans to their feet and smiles to their faces.
The artistry of the Wizards is evident as they elevate the star-status of the home team featuring teachers, principals and local notables. Never in the history of sport will the losing team have so much fun... Coach Funke hopes so.
FRIDAY FEBRUARY 27TH - HIGHLAND PARK HIGH SCHOOL
DOORS OPEN 6:30 PM - GAMES STARTS 7:00PM
TICKETS (PROCEEDS SPLIT W/ WIZARDS AND HPHS CHARITY)
1) Complete the Southeast Region Map Worksheet 2) Create your own inspirational Quote poster and share it with me. Make sure it's not boring! (Jordan and Madina, find an inspirational quote spoken by someone else since you have already completed the personal quote poster) 3) Finish all spelling work, including Word Poster. 4) Read and log. I will be checking tomorrow.
Valentine's Day Information:
We will be having our Valentine's Day Party tomorrow at 1:15 - 2:15, where we will exchange cards, eat, dance, play games, and have fun. If you forget your cards or didn't bring any, don't worry! We will be making them in class as well. I am excited to have fun, but we need to work hard before the party starts. Remember, the party starts at 1:15, not 8:50.
Group Reading - We will be starting book groups to read different books regarding Civil Rights and Black History Month. The teacher has the groups and I expect you to read well together and get to work quickly. You do not need to fill out a form when you are done, but I will be checking your progress tomorrow.
Valentine's Day Prep
At 1:45 you can continue working on your quotes if you haven't finished.
If you have, you can start working on your Valentines Day video card to your parents (we will film on Friday morning), including finding a background, or you may make a Valentine's Day Powtoon. Either option you choose, you must include a form of figurative language!
If any student would like to make valentines for Friday, there is red, white, and pink construction paper by the window on top of the cardboard mail slots. However, this is all we have, so DO NOT WASTE IT!
Unfortunately I am not feeling well and I have to stay home today. Have no fear, I will be back tomorrow. Here is today's schedule:
Elli and Jovy are doing announcements. Please turn your Conference Forms if you have them.
There is an Progress Check assignment for you on ALEKS.
Once you are finished, there are copies of DYNAMATH Math Magazine with the teacher. Please select one and complete the math problems for one of the articles of your choice. Make sure the article has AT LEAST three questions. You may work with a partner. Write your answers on a piece of paper with:
The issue of DYNAMATH (what month)
The article title
With the remaining time, if there is any, you may continue with DYNAMATH or play FRACTION LINEUP or FAST AND FURIOUS FRACTIONS
SNACK / JOBS / QUOTES
After cleaning up and doing your jobs, you may begin having snacks.
Mrs. Goldhar will pass out the printed quotes for you to decorate.
Cece and Jacques - Please check your quote documents. I left comments about changes you need to make before printing.
Rosella, Rachael, and Breanne - You did not share your documents with me. Please do so.
If you finish decorating, you can begin one part of tonight's homework - creating your own inspirational quote poster! (Jordan and Madina, your homework is to find an inspirational quote that someone else came up with.)
We have a special music class today to practice for your performance.
SPELLING / TECH TIME
Once you return from music, please work on your Thursday Spelling Work. Word Posters are due tomorrow, and there will be extra credit for Valentine's themed word posters.
1) Complete ALEKS homework (Some students just began working on improper fractions today, so if they have trouble, please have them note the question and move on.)
2) Read and Log.
3) Complete first draft of Book Review Script.
1) Read and Log
2) Look over PARCC Math Packet. Complete any question in the PARCC packet that you feel comfortable with. Mark any that you think are really confusing. (Disregard any "fill in bubbles").
3) Begin your Book Review Script (Due on Wednesday)
4) Make sure you know the author or source of your inspiration quote.
*** Conference sign up sheets are coming home today. Please return as soon as possible.
*** Please look over the PARCC Math Packets with your student. While the actual PARCC will be administered via computer, this packet give a good sense of the type of questions that will be on the test. I am very concerned about the format, especially the test-taking strategies students will need to use to solve multi-step, multi-part questions, so I want students to be as familiar with the format as possible. I am not expecting students to be able to finish this packet, but I want them to look over the problems to see what questions they have.
1) Read and log
2) Find a inspirational quote to share on Monday. There are many sites with examples, here is one. Make sure to find one that is inspirational to you and be able to explain why.
3) If you would like to share the story you created, make sure to proofread it for spelling and writing errors.
* For students still needing basic math fact work, you may use Aleks QuickTables or Flash Cards instead of XtraMath. I am working on making a printable version of necessary math facts.
* I highly recommend taking all shoes, boots, jackets, hats, gloves, and scarves home every weekend, if not every day.
1) Complete Aleks Homework (please see note below)
2) Read and log (5 logs due tomorrow)
3) Complete Spelling Packet and Word Poster, and prepare for Friday's Quiz
*** Note on Aleks - when assigning homework on Aleks, I always add a few questions to challenge students to make sure I am not setting the bar too low. While it is usually material we have covered, they may have trouble. If a student ever gets frustrated with their homework or is taking a long time to complete, please have the student email me with a note about the issue and move on. Even better, please have your student take a screenshot of the question. I will work on the issue with the student in class the following day. If you feel comfortable helping your student learn the material, please feel free to help them out. However, please do not do the work for them. Thank you for your support at home.
Next month, we will be taking a brand new test called the PARCC. Today we are going to try out the practice test together.
1) Be calm. You are going to have many questions. So do I. We will explore together. However, you need to have active ears. We won't get anywhere if I have to answer the same question 17 times.
2) Be calm. I'm assuming there will be lots of glitches. If something isn't working, I only need to hear it once, not 17 times.
*** Great Depression Projects due.
*** Read and Log, and iRead forms due.
For any student interested in using the 3D app we used in class on Friday, Colarapp.com is the website, and Colar Mix is the app. The sheets are available at the website, and there is a link to download the app on either iTunes or for Android.